BitGym allows you to download tours to your device storage so you can use them when your internet connection is limited or disabled. It can be useful for users with internet connection speeds which do not support HD streaming, or for users exercising at a gym where the shared wifi is often not fast enough.
To download a tour, select your circuit, tap on a tour, and in the top right look for the DOWNLOAD button. Tours can be 1 gigabyte or larger, and we need at least 2 gigabytes free in order to download and decompress the tour. If you don’t have enough free space you won’t be able to start the download.
The download will continue in the background so you can navigate to another part of the app or even leave the app entirely. To view downloads in progress, or to view completed downloads, you should select the LOCAL CIRCUIT. You can find the LOCAL CIRCUIT by tapping CHANGE CIRCUIT and scrolling all the way to the left of the list.
Using offline mode
If you open BitGym while the device cannot connect to the internet at all (WiFi off, no network, extremely poor connection), it will automatically enter offline mode. If the app opens like normal, but the connection is too poor to experience the tours normally, you can ensure you are only using offline content by choosing "Change Circuit" > "Local Circuit". All tours here are those you downloaded. Note that this selection is only available once you have downloaded at least one tour.
Things to note about local tours
- No checkpoint progress is tracked in the Local Circuit. User tour progress is stored in realtime to the cloud, which cannot be done without internet, so instead all checkpoints for downloaded tours are unlocked automatically. If you wish to complete a certain tour in a circuit, it needs to be launched from the circuit (and have at least a slow but active internet connection).
- If you launch a tour you have downloaded from a circuit other than the local circuit while on the internet, it will still use the downloaded version (to reduce your bandwidth usage and to use the local high quality content). So if you know a tour is downloaded, you don't have to go into offline mode to use the local version!
- Uninstalling and reinstalling the app may wipe all your downloads and you will have to re-download them.
- When you close the app, do not log out as you cannot log back in without internet, and cannot access any content while logged out.
- Android Users: Do not install the app to the SD card. This will slow down the app, cause memory errors, and download issues. The app itself takes up less than 50MB, and even when installed to the internal memory, will download tours to the SD card, so there's no need to move the app to the SD card.